The skin undergoes a lot of changes as a person grows older. The natural passage of time, alongside excessive exposure to the sun and changing hormone levels, can lead to the thinning of the epidermis, a decrease in melanocyte cells, and reduced skin strength and elasticity. These, in turn, encourage the emergence of wrinkles and sun spots and cause the skin to become very thin and dry.
The cold, dry air during fall and winter may spell many uncomfortable moments for people who have drier and less elastic skin. This type of weather can make them more susceptible to dry skin problems, like itching, tightening, and getting more blackheads and pimples.
The best way to avoid these issues is by centering your skincare routine on proper hydration. Here’s how you do it:
- Treat your skin from sun damage. Address hyperpigmentation, fine wrinkles, dull skin, and other forms of sun damage by using deeply hydrating masks and serums.
- Stock up on hydrating cleansers. Harsh soaps can strip off natural moisturizers from your skin. Try using hydrating cleansers and creamy body washes instead.
- Bring out your oil-based body scrubs and cleansers. Non-clogging oil-based skin products are great for cleansing your skin and keeping it hydrated at the same time.
- Shift to a thicker moisturizer. Thin, watery moisturizers just won’t cut when it comes to keeping your skin hydrated during the cold seasons. Opt for thicker creams and ointments that help retain moisture by creating a protective layer around your skin.
- Pay special attention to your lips and hands. Invest on a good hand cream and make sure you always use it after washing your hands. A lip balm, on the other hand, will help keep your lips from drying out and chapping.
- Don’t forget to put on sunscreen. Your skin is more sensitive during the cold seasons, so you should remain vigilant when it comes to sun protection.
How Genemedics Can Help
Aside from the changing seasons, your skin problems can also be aggravated by menopause, andropause, and other conditions that are marked by changing hormone levels. Get in touch with Genemedics today to find out if your skin problems and other discomforts can be addressed by hormone replacement therapy. Call 800-277-4041 today or leave a message on our Contact Us page to schedule a consultation at our clinics in Michigan and Arizona.