Every man is enthusiastic at times. One man has enthusiasm for thirty minutes, another man has it for thirty days, but it is the man who has it for thirty years who makes a success in life. —Edward B. Butler
Changing your lifestyle does not happen overnight—it can take months or even years to fundamentally change old habits. Yet just as with everything else in life, practice makes perfect, and every little step counts. When you first start your exercise program, you might find it easy to skip some days, and then feel guilty about missing your goal. Don’t worry! Missing a day here or there is not a failure. Failing only happens if you become discouraged and quit. If you miss a workout, do your best to put it behind you and start over.
Exercise is essential to a healthy lifestyle. Studies have shown that the main difference between individuals of a normal weight and those who are overweight is the amount of calories the individual burns throughout the day. People who are overweight tend to have a more sedentary lifestyle.
We can especially see this in children. In the past, children would come home from school and go outside to run around and play. Over the last 20 years, children have turned in their sneakers for the television and video games. The Department of Education estimates that children in the United States watch an average of three to five hours of television every day! That’s up to 35 hours a week sitting on the couch and watching television! As a result, the number of overweight children has doubled in the last 20 years, and the number of overweight adolescents has tripled in the last 20 years. The amount of calories consumed between the two groups was about the same.
Benefits of Exercise
- Increases confidence and self-esteem
- Improves mood and relieves stress
- Increases your ability to focus and concentrate
- Decreases your desire for other unhealthy, addictive habits (i.e., smoking, alcohol consumption, or overeating)
- Increases your overall sense of inner strength and well-being
- Improves cardiovascular function, improves pulmonary function, boosts the immune system (increasing resistance to illnesses), and reduces or prevents the risk of developing practically every disease from osteoporosis to diabetes and even some cancers.
- Increases your basal metabolic rate (BMR), which increases fat loss
- Improves flexibility and mobility
- Has anti-aging effects
- Improves libido (sex drive)
- Improves appearance
- Loss of body fat
- Increases muscle tone and therefore increases body strength and endurance
Despite these numerous benefits, many people are intimidated by the thought of going to the gym; with its rows of strange-looking machines they don’t know how to use. And many people can’t afford a personal trainer to teach safe exercise practices.
Genemedics Health Institute has the answer. We will provide you with access to a library of top-quality exercise videos that will teach you all the exercises you’ll need to attain your top fitness level. Our video library also contains scientifically validated exercise routines for beginning, moderate and advanced exercisers. A Genemedics Health Institute medical doctor will customize an exercise program based on your schedule, time availability, and health and fitness goals. Contact us todayand take your first step toward a younger and healthier you!