“There’s also increasing evidence supporting the pain-relieving properties of valproic acid:
1. In patients with chronic (recurring) migraines, valproic acid administration at daily doses of 500 to 600 mg reduced migraine frequency.
2. Larger clinical trials confirmed the benefit of valproic acid on migraine attacks and the FDA approved the use of this drug.[22-23]
3. Valproic acid administration in patients with recurrent migraines was associated with better clinical response.
4. A study found that low dose of valproic acid (10 mg/kg) for 6 months may be helpful in preventing migraine in pediatric patients.
5. In patients with severe migraine headache, administration of intravenous valproic acid seems to be safe and rapidly effective at alleviating symptoms.
6. A study found that valproic acid treats migraine by increasing brain GABA levels.
7. In adult patients with episodic migraine, valproic acid reduced headache frequency and was reasonably well tolerated.
8. In patients with refractory migraine, a type of migraine not relieved or prevented by acute migraine therapies, valproic acid administration at a dose of 1,250 mg daily reduced headache severity.
9. In migraine sufferers, valproic acid administration at a dose of 100–600 mg/day was consistent in alleviating symptoms.
10. Administration of 400 mg valproic acid twice daily for 8 weeks in patients with migraine was effective in reducing the frequency, severity and duration of the attacks.
11. Administration of 70 to 120 mg/L of valproic acid in patients with migraine headaches was associated with significantly lesser functional restriction and symptoms.
12. Valproic acid appeared to be equivalent in efficacy and safety to topiramate, an anti-epileptic drug, in reducing the duration, monthly frequency, and intensity of headache.
Call 800-277-4041 for a Free Consultation
Genemedics® Health Institute is a global premier institute dedicated to revolutionizing health and medicine through healthy lifestyle education, guidance and accountability in harmony with functional medicine. Our physician-supervised health programs are personally customized to help you reach your health and fitness goals while looking and feeling better than ever.