Raspberry ketone is a natural substance that gives raspberries a powerful aroma. This powerful aromatic substance can also be found in small amounts in other fruits like blackberries, cranberries, and kiwis. It is commonly used in cosmetics and has been added to soft drinks, ice cream, and processed food as a flavoring. Only recently, raspberries ketone became popular as a loss weight supplement. But it also has anti-aging properties that can help protect against various diseases such as diabetes, cancer, and inflammatory conditions. To enjoy the health benefits of raspberry ketone, you can consume the fruit raw or you can take its capsule form.
Overall Health Benefits of Raspberry Ketone
- Lowers risk of diabetes and improves blood sugar levels [1-4]
- Improves sexual health [5-6]
- Protects against liver injury [7-8]
- Lowers risk of cardiovascular diseases [9-10]
- Prevents Alzheimer’s disease (AD) and boosts cognitive health [11-12]
- Promotes weight loss [13-16]
- Prevents bone abnormalities [17-18]
How Raspberry Ketone Works
Raspberry ketone is high in fiber, which helps promote weight loss. It is also jam-packed with protein, vitamin C, vitamin K, B vitamins, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, manganese, and copper. Its high antioxidant content helps protect against various diseases.
Proven Health Benefits of Raspberry Ketone
Lowers Risk of Diabetes and Improves Blood Sugar Levels
Studies suggest that raspberry ketone can help reduce diabetes risk through its blood sugar-lowering effects:
- A study showed that the nutrient profile of red raspberries and their polyphenolic components can help reduce the risk of diabetes. 
- In wild type mice, supplementation with raspberry for 10 weeks improved response to the hormone insulin, which helps lower blood sugar levels. 
- In adults with type 2 diabetes, acute raspberry supplementation significantly lowered the levels of blood sugar. 
- A study showed that red raspberries improved postmeal blood sugar control and reduced insulin requirements in diabetics. 
Improves Sexual Health
There are also increasing evidence supporting the beneficial effects of raspberry ketone on sexual health:
- In sterile male Queensland fruit fly, raspberry ketone supplementation improved mating performance. 
- In an animal model, raspberry ketone supplementation also increased sexual attraction. 
Protects Against Liver Injury
Raspberry ketone has been found to protect the liver against various forms of injury:
- A study showed that raspberry ketone prevented programmed cell death of liver cells. 
- In mice fed with a high fat diet, raspberry ketone supplementation protected against liver inflammation associated with fat accumulation. 
Lowers Risk of Cardiovascular Diseases
Studies found that raspberry ketone may help ward off cardiovascular diseases by improving various health parameters:
- In male and female mice, administration with raspberry ketone improved blood circulation. 
- In hypertensive rats, raspberry ketone exerted its cardioprotective effects by reducing blood pressure. 
Prevents Alzheimer’s disease (AD) and Boosts Cognitive Health
Evidence suggests that raspberry ketone is also a cognitive enhancer:
- In rats with obesity-induced Alzheimer disease, raspberry ketone with calorie restricted regimen effectively modulated the neurodegenerative changes induced by obesity and delayed the progression of AD. 
- In mice fed with raspberry ketone for 3 weeks, a significant reduction in brain inflammation was observed. 
Promotes Weight Loss
A number of high-quality studies recommend raspberry ketone as a weight loss supplement:
- In overweight men and women, raspberry ketone consumption for 8 weeks reduced hip and waist girth, and increased energy levels. 
- Studies found that raspberry ketone can help reduce weight by increasing metabolism. [14-15]
- In rats, raspberry ketone significantly increased norepinephrine-induced lipolysis (fat breakdown). 
Prevents Bone Abnormalities
There are also studies supporting the benefits of raspberry ketone on bone health:
- In a rat model of arthritis, raspberry ketone extract administration lowered the incidence of bone breakdown. 
- A cell study showed that raspberry ketone enhanced the production of bone-producing cells known as osteoblasts. 
- Burton-Freeman BM, Sandhu AK, Edirisinghe I. Red Raspberries and Their Bioactive Polyphenols: Cardiometabolic and Neuronal Health Links. Adv Nutr. 2016;7(1):44-65. Published 2016 Jan 15. doi:10.3945/an.115.009639.
- Zhao, L., Zou, T., Gomez, N.A. et al. Raspberry alleviates obesity-induced inflammation and insulin resistance in skeletal muscle through activation of AMP-activated protein kinase (AMPK) α1. Nutr & Diabetes 8, 39 (2018). https://doi.org/10.1038/s41387-018-0049-6.
- Schell J, Betts NM, Lyons TJ, Basu A. Raspberries Improve Postprandial Glucose and Acute and Chronic Inflammation in Adults with Type 2 Diabetes. Ann Nutr Metab. 2019;74(2):165-174. doi: 10.1159/000497226. Epub 2019 Feb 14. PMID: 30763939.
- Xiao D, Zhu L, Edirisinghe I, Fareed J, Brailovsky Y, Burton-Freeman B. Attenuation of Postmeal Metabolic Indices with Red Raspberries in Individuals at Risk for Diabetes: A Randomized Controlled Trial. Obesity (Silver Spring). 2019 Apr;27(4):542-550. doi: 10.1002/oby.22406. Epub 2019 Feb 14. PMID: 30767409.
- Khan MAM, Shuttleworth LA, Osborne T, Collins D, Gurr GM, Reynolds OL. Raspberry ketone accelerates sexual maturation and improves mating performance of sterile male Queensland fruit fly, Bactrocera tryoni (Froggatt). Pest Manag Sci. 2019 Jul;75(7):1942-1950. doi: 10.1002/ps.5307. Epub 2019 Feb 4. PMID: 30578612.
- Akter H, Adnan S, Morelli R, Rempoulakis P, Taylor PW (2017) Suppression of cuelure attraction in male Queensland fruit flies provided raspberry ketone supplements as immature adults. PLoS ONE 12(8): e0184086.
- Available from https://pubs.rsc.org/en/content/articlelanding/2019/tx/c9tx00068b#!divAbstract.
- Wang L, Meng X, Zhang F. Raspberry ketone protects rats fed high-fat diets against nonalcoholic steatohepatitis. J Med Food. 2012;15(5):495-503. doi:10.1089/jmf.2011.1717.
- Kshatriya D, Hao L, Li X, Bello NT. Raspberry Ketone [4-(4-Hydroxyphenyl)-2-Butanone] Differentially Effects Meal Patterns and Cardiovascular Parameters in Mice. Nutrients. 2020;12(6):1754. Published 2020 Jun 11. doi:10.3390/nu12061754.
- Jia H, Liu JW, Ufur H, He GS, Liqian H, Chen P. The antihypertensive effect of ethyl acetate extract from red raspberry fruit in hypertensive rats. Phcog Mag 2011;7:19-24
- Mohamed HE, Abo-ELmatty DM, Mesbah NM, Saleh SM, Ali AA, Sakr AT. Raspberry ketone preserved cholinergic activity and antioxidant defense in obesity induced Alzheimer disease in rats. Biomed Pharmacother. 2018 Nov;107:1166-1174. doi: 10.1016/j.biopha.2018.08.034. Epub 2018 Aug 28. PMID: 30257330.
- Available from https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fnmol.2018.00086/full.
- Lopez HL, Ziegenfuss TN, Hofheins JE, et al. Eight weeks of supplementation with a multi-ingredient weight loss product enhances body composition, reduces hip and waist girth, and increases energy levels in overweight men and women. J Int Soc Sports Nutr. 2013;10(1):22. Published 2013 Apr 19. doi:10.1186/1550-2783-10-22.
- Zhao D, Yuan B, Kshatriya D, et al. Bioavailability and Metabolism of Raspberry Ketone with Potential Implications for Obesity Prevention (OR34-05-19). Curr Dev Nutr. 2019;3(Suppl 1):nzz031.OR34-05-19. Published 2019 Jun 13. doi:10.1093/cdn/nzz031.OR34-05-19.
- Morimoto C, Satoh Y, Hara M, Inoue S, Tsujita T, Okuda H. Anti-obese action of raspberry ketone. Life Sci. 2005 May 27;77(2):194-204. doi: 10.1016/j.lfs.2004.12.029. Epub 2005 Feb 25. PMID: 15862604.
- Park KS. Raspberry ketone increases both lipolysis and fatty acid oxidation in 3T3-L1 adipocytes. Planta Med. 2010 Oct;76(15):1654-8. doi: 10.1055/s-0030-1249860. Epub 2010 Apr 27. PMID: 20425690.
- Available from https://pubs.acs.org/doi/10.1021/jf203456w.
- Takata T, Morimoto C. Raspberry ketone promotes the differentiation of C3H10T1/2 stem cells into osteoblasts. J Med Food. 2014;17(3):332-338. doi:10.1089/jmf.2013.2763.